Monday, October 15, 2007

My attempt at a Positive Spin...

I told most of you that I am trying to train myself to think more optimistically. I believe most of how we feel is how we are determined to feel anyway, and if I want to be more positive, I must first choose to be. I am officially in the 2ww now. I don't feel very optimistic about its success, but I want to be more optimistic if it wasn't a success. So here, I have decided to list all the reasons NOT being pregnant would not be the end of the world... don't know if it will work, but here's my A+ effort at trying.

Advantages of not being pregnant this month or already being a mommy
1. I get to sleep in late anytime I want to on the weekends.
2. Every vacation is like a honeymoon for K and I.
3. I don't have to worry about if I do/don't have a sitter if we want to go do something spontaneously.
4. My clothes still fit me.
5. I don't have to be responsible for anyone 24/7.
6. When you have kids, you lose any days off you would have--there is no longer such a thing.
7. The money I would have to use on "kid stuff" I can spend on other things.
8. I am going back to school in Jan to become a teacher and I'll get to have as many as 30 kids at once.
9. I have time for my own hobbies or I can be completely lazy for no reason at all.
10. When I get sick, I have my choice of thousands of over the counter medicines, and I can stay in bed and recuperate for as long as I feel like it.
11. I can still eat sushi and shell fish (which are two of my favorites!)
12. I can drink milk without getting squeamish.
13. I don't have to be close to the nearest bathroom in case I need to tinkle or vomit.
14. I can eat as much junk food as I want and think I have a proper diet.
15. I can consume as much caffeine as I need.
16. When I get a positive home pregnancy test, I will be pleasantly shocked!
17.I don't have to worry about doing too much (or too little).
18.I don't have any stretch marks.
19.I get to watch grown up TV instead of cartoons.
20.I don't have to worry about being too loud in case others are sleeping.
21. My breasts aren't lactating.

Come on Ladies...there are others, which I will gladly add to this list. (And yes, I know...for every one of these reasons, I can list a thousand disadvantages of not being pregnant or a mommy...) For now, this seems to work...I feel better. Hope you feel better too!

5 comments:

Confessions of a momaholic said...

i love your list and make a mental list each month to prepare myself to find ~some~ positive in not being pregnant. i truly don't believe my exhaustion is a symptom b/c i really haven't gotten more than 5 hours of sleep any night this week. it is genuine tiredness. there's always that twinge of hope though!!! good luck during your 2ww!

Alison said...

What a great list! I would also add under the sick one that you get to recuperate in your bed for however long you need. :)

Mindy said...

This is a great list.
I think just having the time and the money to go back to school is something to add to your list.
I really want to do that - go back to school - but with 3 little ones - no kids and no money.....
I hope it is a blessing for you!
In HIM -
Mindy

Searching said...

Less headaches from screaming meltdowns (you or the baby!). Being able to have the time and money to go to awesome far away places (this is my gold standard answer and what I beg my brain to accept as the Best Thing About Not Having a Baby). Peeing alone. Taking long showers or baths whenever you want without having either a baby in a bouncy chair in their or knowing you have 2min tops before someone wakes up crying for you. No spit up on your best dress. No walking around smelling like curdled breastmilk or formula (unless you work with babies- then that happens anyway). You can watch whatever you want whenever you want. Rated R movies in the middle of the day! No worrying about if that TV show will damage your child's psyche or turn its brain to mush. No strained peas in your tile grout. No carrot stains in your carpet. Friends can stop by and you will probably be dressed and able to visit. You can read whatever you want as opposed to baby care manuals or What to Expect. You have time to do your nails. And let them dry. You can have phone conversations longer than 5 min without any wailing in the background.

lol, more and more. I'm sure I'll have a book full if we end up deciding my health just won't cut it for mommyhood. I think it's great that you are thinking about the positives. :) Hope the time flies!

Confessions of a momaholic said...

it's thursday! looking forward to what you are thankful for...